Friday, January 16, 2009

Argentina

I am having a lot of fun in Argentina and learning so much! It amazes me how a producer could be so effected by what is done by the govt. Export taxes are very high and for some makes it hard to make a profit. We saw a lot of grain from last year stored in silage bags. There is the hope that when the prices go up they will be able to sell. It is the driest its been in 70 years. There is the thought that if the crop is lost they can use the seed from last year to plant again when there is rain.

We have seen some really interesting farms and met a lot of great people. Many will be contacts for a long time which will be great to get their point of view as to what is going on with the weather.

Speaking of...wasn't going to rub it in since it's so cold at home, but on Wednesday it was 95 and we got to spend the evening by the pool at the farm we were staying at. Should I mention I now have tan lines from my bathing suit? Okay I won't.

Well its 2:04 am and I should head to bed. Bus leaves at 8:30 for a trip to a soybean crushing facility.

Sue

No comments: